Medical Interpretation Rights

Language_TranslationPatients, parents, guardians have the legal rights to ask for qualified “medical interpreter” from the hospital/healthcare provider if they have Limited English Proficient (LEP).

Under the Title VI of he 1964 Civil Rights Act recipients of federal funding (most health care facilities recieve some form of federal funding) are required to offer language assistance to LEP patients to ensure meaningful access to programs and services. See the federal guidelines on language requirement:

The PALS for health in Los Angeles has developed the “I Speak Card” and translated in Lao that people can print out and carry with them, especially elders who do not speak English at all.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *