The Laotian American National Alliance (LANA) is the premier resource and advocacy organization in the United States who strives to cultivate the strengths and leadership of all Laotian Americans consisting of the diverse ethnic communities from Hmong, Iu-Mien, Khmu, Lahu, Lao, Tai Lue, Phu Tai, Tai Dam, Tai Phuan and other descendants from Laos who make up the dynamic, collective Laotian American community.
LANA is the oldest and only Laotian American non-partisan, non-religious, 501c3 national development, resources, & leadership organization in the United States advocating for social justice, civic and civil rights, public education; economic well-being, public policy, and representing the Laotian national identity and interests at the national tables in promoting equality and opportunities for all multi-ethnic people from the country of Laos.
We are 100% volunteer based. LANA for the past 10 years has been functioning as a national working board, volunteering time, talent, and personal resources. Our basic operating budget comes from generous donations from Board Members and private donors.
Vision and Mission
To fulfill its mission, LANA has established the following goals:
- to advocate for social justice, equal opportunity and fair treatment for all multi-ethnics from Laos.
- to promote civic participation, education, and leadership;
- to develop a new generation of non-profit, public sector, and corporate leaders.
- to advance coalitions and community building;
- to increase funding support for Laotian Community Based Organizations and Faith Based Organizations.
- to foster cultural heritage
Read the By-laws of the Laotian American National Alliance, Inc., as drafted by the Board on October 2009
The LANA board members are committed to these leadership practices:
|Challenge the Process||1.) Search out challenging opportunities to change, grow, innovate, and improve.
2.) Experiment, take risks, and learn from the accompanying mistakes.
|Inspire a Shared Vision||3.) Envision an uplifting and ennobling future.
4.) Enlist others in a common vision by appealing to their values, interests, hopes and dreams.
|Enable Others to Act||5.) Foster collaboration by promoting collaborative goals and building trust.
6.) Strengthen people by giving power away, providing choice, developing competence, assigning critical tasks, and offering visible support.
|Modeling the Way||7.) Set the example by behaving in ways that are consistent with shared values.
8.) Achieve small wins that promote consistent progress and build commitment.
|Encouraging the Heart||9.) Recognize individual contributions to the success of every project.
10.) Celebrate team accomplishments regularly.
Source: “The Leadership Challenge” by James M. Kouzes and Barry Z. Posner
LANA 5 Year Plan
LANA 5 Year Plan
Goals of LANA:
1. to see a 30% increased in the numbers of college and trade schools graduates, by offering scholarships and sharing scholarship information via website, social media and annual conferences. The results will be monitored using Census 2020 data.
2. to see an increase in income level by sharing job opportunities and availabilities of trainings from different companies via website, social media and annual conferences. The results will be monitored using Census 2020 data.
3. to see an increase in the physical and mental well being of the Laotian American Community by sharing health resources and providers and by our continual partnership with the Hep B Initiative, and the World Hepatitis Organization via website, social media and annual conferences. The results will be monitored from the shared partnerships.
4. to see an increase in the numbers of voters by sharing voter registration information in English, Hmong and Lao languages via website, social media and annual conferences. The results will be monitored by the increased numbers in local ballots.
5. to see local representation from all states by appointing them as official LANA representatives and providing them with a media packet to share with their community about LANA events and resources. The list of all representatives is available on the LANA website.
6. to see an increase in LANA’s presence and relevancy in the media via twitter, LANA youtube channel, LANA Facebook page, Laotian Americans Facebook group, and LANA Google+ group.
7. to see an increase in individual and organization membership by doing a monthly membership drive via local events, website and social networks.
8. to see an increase in the numbers of Laotian Americans filling out the Census 2020 form by putting all census information and Public Service Announcements (PSA) twitter, LANA youtube channel, LANA Facebook page, Laotian Americans Facebook group, and LANA Google+ group.
9. to increase LANA’s participation and representation at meetings with national partners by designating a LANA board member for each organization.
10. to support the Laotian Community Based Organizations programs on cultural preservation and language preservation by providing funding and by promoting their fundraisers.
11. to advocate for the Royal Lao Veterans to have House Resolution 210 pass.
12. to advocate for a comprehensive immigration reform by collaborating with national partners.